Website Comment Policy
I want everyone to feel at home when they post a comment here. Now, I don’t know what your home is like, but I know how I expect people to behave when they visit mine. That’s why I reserve the right to delete comments and ban users as needed to keep the comment threads here civil and substantive.
My No. 1 house rule is simple: Please don’t be an idiot.
Do you want to be the kind of contributor I'd love to bring home to meet my family? Here’s what I like to see in comments:
- Weigh in with smart, informed ideas that contribute further to the story.
- Give me useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let me know and the website elves will correct it.
- Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humour we know you possess.
- Please don’t feed the trolls. You wouldn’t dive into a debate with my ill-informed, weird uncle just for the heck of it, and you definitely wouldn’t feed him. Just downvote and flag comments instead.
Although I can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments I'll do my best to curtail:
- Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. So you’ve got a train that goes faster and further than ever before. That's great Richard. Send the information through my contact form.
- Impersonating authors or other contributors. I can’t believe I have to say this, but: Don’t do that.
- Comments that make it clear you didn’t read the article. Enraged that we didn’t mention that thing in a story about another thing? Slow down, if you’d made it past paragraph two, you’d see a very well thought-out discussion of that thing you hold so dear.
- Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit, but are still related to the original subject, and that is fine, but hijacking the conversation to promote off-topic commentary is not.
- Threats — no matter how vague — against the author or other comtributors. Things can get heated, but before you casually mention your foe’s home address, think how you would like it.
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, that sort of thing. Call me the PC Police, fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you when you get thrown in The Tower (or more likely, banned or deleted.
- Trolling. If you’re a climate denier just out for a good trolling and are not contributing meaningfully to the conversation, sorry, but I'll be pushing you back under the bridge.